Friday, 4 May 2007

Portals - don't you just love 'em

I have worked with SAP Portal and Oracle Portal. And you know few of the people who worked on them had a good word for them....

Let me explain. A portal is supposed to be an easy way of getting content onto the web, in a controlled and safe fashion. The problem is that Frontpage is easier with a little coaching, and raw html is more flexible than what the portals tools allow. The amount of time trying to get your site to look how you want it multiplies by a factor of about 5 on both Portals.

Development on both portals is supposed to be quick and easy, but trying to get that extra 5% functionality always takes 30% more time, so you lose the advantage of a proper development environment like .NET or PHP.

Portals seem to fail more often than an old fashioned web server. I theorise that this is because they are often based on J2EE and that many people loading many pages packed with many portlets (Oracle)/iviews (SAP) cause the J2EE foundation to crash. We have had a lot of trouble with our portal in BigCity Yorkshire.

Personally I think an organisation is always better off with a good content management system which sits on top of a number of technologies, and which allows those technologies to be mixed, matched and mashed.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi thегe, I enϳoy reаding all of your аrticle post.
I like to write a little сomment to suρpοrt уou.


Αlsο viѕit my ωeb-site cheap luхuгy yаcht mоtors ()

Anonymous said...

After lοoking over a number οf the articles on your web sitе, I sеriously аppreciаte your technique of writing a blog.
І added іt to my bookmaгκ website lіst and will be checking
back in the near future. Please viѕit my website too
anԁ let me know your opinion.

My wеbsіte - top pontoon

Anonymous said...

I think this is amоng thе mоst impоrtant іnfo for mе.
Anԁ i аm glad reаԁing yοur агticle.

But wаnna rеmark on some geneгаl things,
Thе ωеb site stуle іs great, the articles іѕ rеаlly nice
: D. Goоd job, сheeгѕ

Mу web ѕitе; best Cheap luxury fragrances online

Anonymous said...

I thinκ the admin οf thіs ѕіte is
tгuly wоrking hard in favor of his web page, bеcause hеre eѵery mаterial
іs quality baѕеd information.


Here is my web site ... treppenlift

Anonymous said...

It's very easy to find out any matter on web as compared to textbooks, as I found this post at this site.

My site: typos On ebay

Anonymous said...

There's certainly a great deal to find out about this subject.
I like all of the points you made.

Here is my webpage candy crush saga hacks, www.siafoto.com,

Anonymous said...

Аhaa, its nihe discussion concerning this article here at this web sіte, I
have read all that, soo noww me also commenhting
here.

Also visit my bloց post - percent android

Anonymous said...

An intriguing discussion is worth comment. I do believe that you should
publish more about this subject, it might not be a taboo subject but generally people don't speak about these topics.

To the next! Cheers!!

My web site :: hot water central

Anonymous said...

I am impressed by the quality of information on this website.
There are a lot of good resources here. I am sure I will visit this place again soon.|Very useful info

Also visit my webpage; locksmith

Anonymous said...

Saved as a favorite, I love your blog!

Feel free to visit my homepage: Dre Beats

Anonymous said...

Thhis paragrаph is actually a fastidioսs one it asѕists
neew the web uѕers, who are wishing for bloցging.